• Smriti Mandhana has attained number one ranking in the ICC ODI batting rankings.
• Haryana Hammers won the 4th edition of the Pro Wrestling League defeating Punjab Royals by 6-3 in the summit clash.
• Sana Mir from Pakistan became the first Asian woman cricketer to play 100 T20 international matches.
• Ramit Tandon won the final of the Seattle Open, a Squash event by defeating Egyptian Mohamed Al Sherbini on 2nd February 2019.
• Indian opener Smriti Mandhana made the fastest fifty for India in Women’s T20Is.
• Jeremy Lalrinnunga won the silver medal in men’s 67-kilogram category at the EGAT’s Cup International Weightlifting Championships in Chiang Mai, Thailand.
• NASA has lost touch with the first mini-spacecraft named MarCO CubeSats that ventured into deep space.
• The MarCO CubeSats, nicknamed EVE and WALL-E, were launched in 2018 to test if such low-cost technology can operate in deep space.
• They served as communications relays during the InSight’s Mars landing and have travelled well past Mars.
• Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority (IRDAI) imposed a fine of Rs 9 lakh on state-owned United India Insurance Co (UIIC) Ltd for violating certain procedures.
• 3 violations were found during the inspection, of which 2 attracted the fine.
• UIIC is headquartered in Chennai, while IRDAI is in Hyderabad.
• Yes Bank was announced as the winner of the 9th edition of Aegis Graham Bell Award 2018 for its ‘Yes Engage Enrich Excel (EEE)’ project in data science.
• Its EEE program is an industry-first analytics tool that aids the Bank’s relationship managers with top 3 talking points to engage with their customers.
• Aegis Graham Bell Award promotes innovations and entrepreneurship in the ICT domain.
• RBI slapped Rs 1 crore penalty on SBI, country’s largest lender on 7th Feb 2019 for violating norms.
• RBI levied the penalty in the exercise of powers conferred under Section 47 A of the Banking Regulation Act, 1949.
• SBI was charged for not monitoring the end use of funds in respect of one of its borrowers.
• The Union Cabinet approved the proposal for Abolition of Institution of Income-Tax Ombudsman and Indirect Tax Ombudsman on 6 Feb 2019.
• The Cabinet was chaired by PM Narendra Modi.
• The Institution of Income-Tax Ombudsman was created in the year 2003 in order to deal with the grievances of public related to the settlement of complaints relating to Income Tax.
• The Union Cabinet approved the MoU between India and Finland on 6th Feb 2019.
• It will support the creation of long-term Research, Development & Innovation collaboration mechanism and establish and strengthen cooperative network between Indian and Finnish organisations.
• The Cabinet was chaired by PM Narendra Modi and the MoU was signed on March 25, 2018 in Helsinki.
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi laid the foundation stone for the four laning of the Falakata-Salsalabari section of NH-31 D in the northern part of West Bengal on 8 February 2019.
• This 41.7 Km long section of the National Highway falls in the Jalpaiguri district.
• It will have 3 railway over bridges, 3 underpasses, 2 flyovers, 17 minor bridges, and 8 bridges.
• Union Minister of Agriculture, Radha Mohan Singh asked all states to support the PM-KISAN scheme.
• Under the scheme, all Small and Marginal farmers (SMF) families having cultivable land up to 2 hectares will be provided income support of Rs.6000 per year.
• The amount will be provided in three equal instalments of Rs 2000 to farmers.
• Chennai Police Commissioner launched ‘DigiCop’ mobile app on 6 February 2019.
• The user can lodge mobile theft complaints using the app and can check if the user’s mobile is in the police list of retrieved mobiles.
• Through the app, the user can also know the traffic condition in the city and also information about nearby police stations.
• The global surface temperatures on the Earth in 2018 were the 4th warmest since 1880.
• This was found in an independent analysis by NASA and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA).
• The global temperatures in 2018 were 0.83 degree Celsius warmer than the 1951 to 1980 mean.
• 2018’s temperatures rank behind those of 2016, 2017 and 2015.
• The Reserve Bank of India lowered the repo rate by 25 basis points to 6.25% on 7th February 2019.
• This is the first time in 17 months that the central bank has cut the rate.
• The reverse repo rate, too, was lowered to 6%, and the bank rate to 6.25%.
• The repo rate is the interest rate at which RBI lends to commercial banks.
• The State Bank of India’s UK Chief Mr. Sanjiv Chadha has been honored with the ‘Freedom of the City Of London’.
• The award was given by the city of London Corporation in recognition of his contribution to promoting bilateral relations.
• The previous Indian recipient of the honour is Jawaharlal Nehru, the first PM of India. Other recipients include author J K Rowling and actor Dame Judi Dench.
• Indian opener Smriti Mandhana made the fastest fifty for India in Women’s T20Is.
• The left-handed batswoman struck a half-century in just 24 balls.
• She made the history in the 1st T20I against New Zealand at Westpac Stadium in Wellington.
• New Zealand’s Sophie Devine holds the record of the quickest half-century in women’s T20Is. She set the record in 2005 against India in just 18-balls.
• The government appointed Air India Chief Managing Director and Chairperson Pradeep Singh Kharola as the secretary of the Ministry of Civil Aviation.
• Kharola will take over from Rajiv Nayan Choubey.
• He is an IAS officer of Karnataka cadre from the 1985 batch, who was named chairperson of Air India in November 2017.
• Jayant Sinha is the Minister of Civil Aviation.
• Union Minister of Road Transport and Highways, Nitin Gadkari, laid the foundation for 5 National Highway projects of length 632 km in Ayodhya on 8 Feb 2019.
• The estimated cost is Rs. 7195 crore and the project will establish direct connectivity from Ayodhya to Ambedkarnagar and Chitrakoot.
• He will also visit Prayagraj to inaugurate Phase 2 of River Information System on National Waterway-1.
• Ujjwala Utsav was observed by the Oil industry in New Delhi on 7th Feb 2019.
• It was observed to celebrate the stellar role played by all stakeholders in making PMUY scheme a success.
• PMUY anthem – ‘Ujjwala Bharat Ujjwala’ composed by Kailash Kher was also launched on the occasion.
• The Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana aims to provide free cooking gas connections to 80 million families by 2020.
• Shri Sailesh assumed the charge as Secretary of Ministry of Minority Affairs on 7th Feb 2019.
• He is an IAS from Assam-Meghalaya Cadre, 1985 batch.
• Shri Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi is the Minister of Minority Affairs.
• An interactive session on the Indo-Africa Strategic Economic Co-operation was held in New Delhi on 6th Feb 2019.
• It was organised by the Ministry of Commerce and Industry.
• The bilateral trade between Africa and India has increased from $7 billion in 2001 to $78 billion in 2014 and then $60 billion in 2017.
• Suresh Prabhu is the Union Minister of Commerce & Industry and Civil Aviation.
• The US has agreed to sell its 2 advanced missile defence systems to India at a cost of $190 million for 2 Boeing-777 Head-of-State aircraft.
• This decision will enhance the security of the planes flying the President and Prime Minister.
• The sale will also support the national security and foreign policy of the US. It will also strengthen the US-Indian strategic relationship.
• ‘Granny Dakshayani’, India’s oldest elephant in captivity died at 88 in Kerala.
• She was awarded with the title ‘Gaja Muthassi’ and also took part in the temple processions and rituals for decades.
• India has around 2,454 elephants in captivity as per a survey released last month.
• Suresh Prabhu, Union Minister of Civil Aviation and Commerce & Industry addressed the India-Monaco Business Forum in New Delhi on 4th February 2019.
• He said that there is a vast scope of cooperation between Indian and Monaco in various sectors including tourism.
• Bilateral trade between India and Monaco in 2017-18 was USD 3.01 million
• Monaco Capital: Monte Carlo
• Currency: Euro.
• The Words Count Festival 2019 was held in Pune, Maharashtra on 3rd February 2019.
• It is an initiative aimed to bring together speakers from different spheres to share their insights on various pertinent issues.
• This was the second edition of the festival, curated by award-winning author Advaita Kala.
• It featured talks that covered issues such as secularism, nation building, etc.
• The total steel export has seen an increase by 16.7% in 2017-18.
• The export of the finished steel was 8.245 MT in 2016-17 and 9.620 MT in 2017-18.
• The contribution of non-alloy steel segment was 8.727 MT.
• Pope Francis made his historic visit to UAE on 4th February 2019.
• Francis attended an inter-religious meeting and held Mass at Zayed Sports City.
• Pope Francis becomes first pontiff to visit Arabian Gulf.
• His visit to UAE has highlighted religious freedom.
• A meeting of Indian Ocean Rim Association will be organised by the Ministry of Home Affairs and National Disaster Management Authority in New Delhi on 5-6 February 2019.
• The aim is to help strengthen cooperation in disaster response.
• IORA is an inter governmental organisation which has 22 disaster-prone countries as its members.
• Headquarters: Mauritius
• Founded: 1995
• Air India’s first ever Flight Simulator, Boeing-747-200 is ready for public view at Nehru Science Centre in Mumbai.
• It was extensively used by the pilots and was manufactured and designed by CAE, Canada.
• It was acquired by Air India in 1980 and was in service for about 21 years.
• A Memorandum of Agreement was also signed between AAI and National Council of Science Museums for worth 2 crores.
• The first state-level awareness programme on agriculture export policy held in Pune on 2nd February 2019.
• The Agriculture Export Policy was recently released by the Government of India which aims to reinvigorate the entire value chain.
• It is framed with a focus on export promotion and agriculture export-oriented production.
• India will launch its communication satellite, GSAT-31, on 6 February 2019 from French Guiana.
• The satellite will be launched by European launch services provider Arianespace’s launch vehicle named Ariane-5.
• GSAT-31 will be used for supporting VSAT networks, Television uplinks, Digital Satellite News Gathering, DTH-television services.
• GSAT-31 is India’s 40th communication satellite.
• The government of India appointed senior diplomat Sunjay Sudhir as India’s Ambassador to the Maldives on 29 January 2019.
• He is a 1993 batch Indian Foreign Service (IFS) officer.
• At present, he is working as a Joint Secretary in the Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas.
• The government of India also appointed Vijay Singh Chauhan as the Ambassador of India to Burkina Faso.
• Tamil Nadu won the ‘Swasth Bharat Yatra’ award under ‘The Best Performing State’ category on 29 January 2019.
• Madurai and Sivakasi were also recognised as the ‘Best Performing Cities’.
• The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) organised the Swasth Bharat Yatra to commemorate the 150th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi from October 2018 to January 2019.
• The RBI removed Bank of India (BoI), Bank of Maharashtra (BoM) and Oriental Bank of Commerce (OBC) from Prompt Corrective Action (PCA) Framework.
• BoI and BoM have met the regulatory norms including Capital Conservation Buffer (CCB) and have Net NPAs (non-performing assets) of less than 6%.
• In case of OBC, the net NPA has come down to less than 6% after the government’s capital infusion.
• The Nikkei India Manufacturing Purchasing Managers’ Index (PMI) increased from 53.2 in December 2018 to 53.9 in January 2019.
• This is the 18th consecutive month that the manufacturing PMI remained above the 50-point mark.
• A mark above 50 means expansion, while a mark below 50 denotes contraction.
• The government of India has constituted a panel under the Central Electricity Authority (CEA) on 1 February 2019.
• The panel will look into problems of delayed payments from distribution companies to power generators.
• The committee constitutes Chairmen of distribution companies of Tamil Nadu and Maharashtra, representatives from Union Power Ministry and power associations.
• The Madras High Court has extended the permission given for the online sale of pharmaceuticals till 20th March, 2019.
• The HC had earlier banned sale of drugs online, pending the framing of regulations by the Centre for such sale.
• The Center had sought more time for framing regulations for the online sale of medicines.
• Central Government has enhanced the fellowship of Science & Technology Ph.D students and other research personnel w.e.f. January 1, 2019.
• Junior Research Fellows will now receive ₹31,000 per month in the first two years of Ph.D programme instead of ₹25,000.
• Fellowship for Senior Research Fellow in the remaining tenure of Ph.D is increased to ₹35,000 per month from previous ₹28,000.
• Vice Admiral MS Pawar, AVSM, VSM assumed charge as Deputy Chief of the Naval Staff on 30th January, 2019.
• He has an experience of over 25 years in sea on diverse platforms ranging from small ships to aircraft carriers.
• The Admiral is an alumnus of National Defence Academy, Khadakwasla, Pune, and he was commissioned on 1st July, 1982.
• Union Minister of Railways & Coal Piyush Goyal was formally presented with fourth annual Carnot Prize at Vigyan Bhawan, New Delhi on 30th January, 2019.
• The prize was presented by Kleinman Center for Energy Policy at the University of Pennsylvania School of Design.
• The Carnot Prize is intended to honour distinguished contributions to energy policy through scholarship or practice.
• Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) proposed a new set of relaxed norms for Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) and Infrastructure Investment Trusts (InvITs) on 30th Jan, 2019.
• This new framework will provide flexibility for fund raising and will boost investments in REITs and InvITs.
• REITs and InvITs are listed entities that invest in income-producing assets like infrastructure.
• The budget session of Parliament started on 31st January, 2019 with President Ram Nath Kovind’s address to the joint sitting of both the Houses.
• The Budget will be presented on 1st February, 2019.
• The session will conclude on the 13th February, 2019.
• National Gallery of Modern Art (NGMA) New Delhi will organise the first edition of Night at the Museum on 30th January, 2019.
• It will be organised in collaboration with the India Art Fair.
• Works of art of Rabindranath Tagore, Amrita Sher-Gil, Raja Ravi Verma, and Nandalal Bose etc. will be displayed at the gallery.
• An exhibition paying homage to the Dandi March will also be on display.
• India improved its ranking by three points to reach 78th rank in the Corruption Perceptions Index (CPI) released by Transparency International.
• China and Pakistan lagged far behind at 87th and 117th rank, respectively.
• According to the index, Denmark is the least corrupt country followed by New Zealand.
• Somalia, Syria and South Sudan are the most corrupt countries in the world.
• India is paying homage to Father of the Nation Mahatma Gandhi on his 71st death anniversary on 30th January, 2019.
• He was assassinated by Nathuram Godse on this day in 1948.
• The day is also observed as Martyrs’ Day.
• UP State Cabinet approved the construction of a four-lane Ganga Expressway connecting Prayagraj to Western Uttar Pradesh on January 29, 2019.
• At 600 km long, it would be longest expressway in the world after completion. The estimated cost of this project is ₹36,000 crore.
• A new 291 kilometres long Bundelkhand Expressway will also be constructed at a cost of ₹8864 crore.
• India bagged the Award of Excellence for ‘Best in Show’ at New York Times Travel Show 2019.
• The show was held from 25th to 27th January in New York, USA.
• Many India centric activities were held at the show including Indian cultural performances, Indian Culinary Demonstrations, Food tasting, etc.
• Indian was delegation led by Yogendra Tripathi, Secretary, Ministry of Tourism, GoI.
• Union Minister for Tourism K.J. Alphons inaugurated first “Development of North East Circuit” project in Gangtok, Sikkim on 30th January 2019.
• This project was sanctioned under Swadesh Darshan Scheme by the Ministry of Tourism in June 2015.
• Swadesh Darshan Scheme is one of the flagship schemes of Ministry of tourism for development of thematic circuits in the country in a planned manner.
• The Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation (MoSPI) and National Council of Applied Economic Research (NCAER) signed an MoU on 29th January, 2019.
• The MoU was signed for capacity building, knowledge generation and sharing in the field of Official Statistics.
• The MoU would lead to strengthening of data quality of various statistical products and services generated by the Ministry.
• Union Minister for Road Transport & Highways, Shipping and Water Resources, Nitin Gadkari will inaugurate several road and river projects in Bihar on 30 January, 2019.
• He will inaugurate two national highway projects in Raxaul and four national highway projects at Bagaha in Bihar.
• The minister will also initiate the development of 300 km long river route from Hajipur to Triveni Ghat.
• A High Level Committee approved Central assistance of ₹7214.03 crore from National Disaster Response Fund (NDRF) to 6 States and one UT affected by natural disasters.
• These included Himachal Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh, Andhra Pradesh, Gujarat, Karnataka, Maharashtra, and Puducherry.
• The Committee was headed by Union Home Minister, Shri Rajnath Singh.
• PM Narendra Modi will lay the Foundation Stone for extension of Terminal building at Surat Airport on 30 January, 2019.
• The terminal is being constructed at a cost of Rs. 354 Crore.
• PM will also interact with the youth at the New India Youth conclave in Surat.
• In Dandi, he will dedicate the National Salt Satyagraha Memorial to the nation on Mahatma Gandhi’s death anniversary.
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi has asked students to stay focused, manage time well and not to succumb to stress.
• He was interacting with 2000 students, parents and teachers in the 2nd edition of Pariksha Pe Charcha in New Delhi.
• The PM said students should focus on acquiring knowledge to enrich their lives, without worrying about examination results.
SEE OLDER AFFAIRS